E: Excessive Daytime Sleepiness
A: Awakening During the Night
R: Regularity and Duration of Sleep
Ask yourself these questions:
B – Bedtime
- Does my child have trouble going to bed or trouble falling asleep?
E – Excessive Daytime Sleepiness
- Is my child difficult to awaken in the morning?
- Does my child seem sleepy or groggy during the day?
- Does my child seem tired during the day? (In children, tired may mean moody, hyperactive, “out of it”, as well as sleepy)
A – Awakening During the Night
- Does my child awaken during the night and have trouble going back to sleep?
- Is anything else interrupting my child’s sleep?
R – Regularity and Duration of Sleep
- How many hours of sleep does my child need at this age?
- What time does my child go to bed and get up on weekdays? On weekends?
- Does this allow my child to get enough sleep every day?
S – Snoring
- Does my child snore? Loudly? Every night?
- Does my child stop breathing, gasp or choke during sleep?
Other questions to consider:
- How restorative or restful is your child’s sleep?
- What is the quality of life because of the sleep problem that affects your child?